miercuri, 31 august 2011

Bride and Prejudice

I love weddings. More precisely, other people's weddings. I love to see the glittering eyelids of the bride, the uncomfortable, but fabulous shoes, the very tight and then very wide dress, the fake, but artistically polished nails. It is very beautiful... on other women. And I am not being ironic. These are just thoughts of the last days, fueled by a lot o prejudice that points against women who decide not go through this magical and potentially tiring ritual. Some say that is the most intense day in a woman's life. Couldn't tell from my own experience if it is true or not, but I had countless intense moments during the past three years that had nothing to do with fluffy, white dresses, priests that smell funny or cakes with fireworks. Again, I am not mocking the happening in itself, nor the wish of people getting united for a lifetime through this kind of ritual, I loved to see most of my friends getting married and regretted I could join the party of only few, but I refuse to see marriage as a must, as "the thing" that makes one a Woman. Passion and lust, friendship and trust, commitment and respect need no papers. Two people that decide to share a life together need no permission from a priest or an official that states that "from now on you are one.". Papers and blessings are an option for the ones that want it like that, but never ever shall they be a MUST. Women are not whores because they have sex and give birth to children without being married, the same way that children born outside a marriage are not bastards. And while some will fight back with a prejudice-fueled reason, I must show off saying that my life partner is more husband than any paper could make him, while my child is happy and healthy without having had to go through a cold bath in a church. These being said, I am looking forward to go to as many wedding ceremonies as possible, without the promise of inviting anybody to one of my own.

Un comentariu:

  1. I definitely agree. It is not a MUST! it is not the bride who makes the woman:)I also like the other people's weddings.

    RăspundețiȘtergere